Komen MD/Central-Southern DE & COVID-19
March 23, 2020 (Updated March 30, 2020)
As a health organization, our top priority is and always has been focused on the well-being of our supporters and community. Even with evolving public health challenges caused by COVID-19, we continue that commitment.
We want to share a few updates on the actions we’re taking and some helpful resources for you:
- If you or anyone you know needs a free mammogram, a connection to breast cancer resources, information on breast health and early detection, assistance finding treatment, or other forms of support, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our team will work diligently to connect people to resources and get the help needed.
- If you need financial assistance for treatment, medication or transportation to appointments, please reach out to our Breast Care Help line at 1-877-465-6636. Learn more here.
- For those undergoing breast cancer treatment, we encourage you to follow CDC guidelines to protect your health and, if you haven’t done so already, stay in touch with your health care provider regarding upcoming appointments. The National Cancer Institute also has information and resources for those undergoing cancer treatment.
- Routine screenings. Healthy women of average risk may want to consider delaying routine breast cancer screening to minimize exposure to COVID-19 and support the health care system’s need to manage resources during the pandemic. This does not apply to those with a high risk or displaying warning signs for breast cancer, so if you have any doubts, we encourage you to contact your healthcare professional. Learn more.
- The Delmarva More Than Pink Walk that was scheduled for April 25 in Ocean City is being rescheduled to early fall. More details to come. The Hope in Bloom Breast Cancer educational event that was scheduled for April 23 in Berlin, MD has been rescheduled to September 10.
- The Promise Ride cycling event is scheduled for August 23 in the Frederick, MD area. More details to come. The Maryland More than Pink Walk is scheduled for October 11 in Columbia, MD—the Walk website will be opening soon.
- To donate to our COVID-19 Action Fund to help breast cancer patients, click here.
Komen Maryland/Central and Southern Delaware will operate remotely and be available via email during regular business hours (9 am – 5 pm) Monday-Friday.
We hope you, your families, and your loved ones remain safe and in good health during this challenging time. Now more than ever, we are so grateful for the passion and dedication of our volunteers and supporters. Thank you for your continued support of our mission and for all you are doing to help lead the fight for a world without breast cancer.
–The Komen Maryland/Central and Southern Delaware Team